Wednesday, July 24, 2013

All in for the journey

   So, why does anyone blog anyway?  I mean,  who reads these things?  What kind of person stumbles onto a blog post and then hangs around to follow lives and stories told in fragments?  I guess that would be me.  I follow the blogs of a few friends and love to keep up with the dreams and drama of their everyday lives.  The other blogs I follow are folks I don't know but something in their writing style or the transparency of their posts draws me in and keeps me checking back eager to see their next post.  For me, it's all about authenticity.  I love people that are real and live their lives in the face of the slings and arrows of criticism. They get knocked down only to rise up and risk failure again just to be heard or seen.

   Why the name Alphabet Soup?  Well, my last name is Campbell so any tie in to soup made sense but there was a bigger reason.  Alphabet soup is a good illustration of how I see life.  Remember that soup as a kid and how you would try to spell a word with each spoonful of letters?  That's just like life to me. There are days where the words come easy and life is full of purpose and promise. There are also days where words fail and our struggle to connect and communicate leaves us empty and alone.  Now, I have no grand illusions about this blog.  Writing has always had a calming effect on me.  This blog will be nothing more than me thinking out loud. It helps me think and gets me out of my comfort zone.  It will be personal and often raw but it will be real.  In the coming posts I'll be sharing lots about my wife, Joy, and our new struggle with her breast cancer.  It will also serve as a place for friends and family to keep track of her journey without the awkwardness of asking us questions and not knowing how to respond to the answers.  Hopefully, there will be lots of humor here as well.  I'll add pictures and dress up the blog as soon as I figure out how to accomplish that. It took me all day just to figure out how to create this and to get this first attempt out there.  See you soon.

 

11 comments:

  1. As always, I'm anxious for what you will share next...on this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already have me hooked, Scott... your writing is honest, raw and written with true spirit. I look forward to your posts and am glad to see you on board with the blogging... it's a very cathartic release...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Scott!!! So glad you're blogging because 1.) your writing is entertaining, thought-provoking, and wise and 2.) because your writing will be a healthy release and hopefully, also, healing. Blog on dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to see this!! Glad you are doing it.
    Praying for you and Joy! Keep us thinking, laughing and up to date!

    Hugs, DeLynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the blog......great idea!

    Marv Decker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey There Honey! Thank you so much for doing this...I think this blog will be some of your best work and also give you a place to share our journey with others. I love to read your thoughts, they are always so honest and vulnerable, a true picture of life, that'a a gift you know. I am so glad you are on this journey with me, you are the best companion to travel with and everything feels better and safer when you are near me. ILY Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a like button? Can't see one, so LIKE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is not very often that I am at a loss for words, your writing is so beautiful and honest. So, all I can say is God Bless You. Thank you for doing this and thank you for being a man of God for Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are expressing yourself very well. . Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keeping u guys in our prayers. Taking a day at a time is great advice given to yourself!

    Marv & Debbie

    ReplyDelete